News‎ > ‎

Historic McPolin Farm

posted May 12, 2016, 9:01 AM by Prewitt Gallery   [ updated Jun 27, 2016, 2:50 PM ]
http://www.prewittgallery.com/gallery/park-city-utah/park-city-mcpolin-barn
You really can't enter Park City without asking about the iconic McPolin Farm.  It is probably one of the most photographed landmarks in Park City. No matter what season, it's creates unmistakable charm in every image captured.  I too was able to capture the Farm this winter under a full moon. Many ask about it's history; here a summary of its history dating back to the late 1800's.

The original 160-acre McPolin Farm was homesteaded in 1886 by the Harrison McLane family and acquired by Isabelle and Dan McPolin around 1900. In 1908 the McPolin's erected the barn of recycled timber salvaged from an old tailings mill. The barn was built by fitting timbers together without the use of nails. The barn is 7,468 square feet including the loft, and the milking parlor, added in the 1950's, is 1,500 square feet. Windows have been installed in the barn for public viewing.

Patrick and Grace McPolin inherited the farm in 1923 and operated it as a dairy farm until they sold it to D. A. Osguthorpe, a Salt Lake veterinarian, in 1948. He increased the herd to 100 and built the milking parlor. The old house burned shortly after Osguthorpe purchased the farm. A concrete block house was built across the highway where members of the family lived until Park City purchased the farm in 1990.  The only structure remaining is the milking shed as the home was removed by the City.  

The McPolin house, located at the back of the Farm, is a somewhat smaller replica of the original structure, which was moved to this location in two pieces in the early 1920's, the farm house is 400 square feet. Prior to its relocation it served as a mine office. The reconstructed house is similar in outward appearance to the original Pyramid Cottage type house, which reflects early 20th century Park City architecture.

Thanks to the support of the citizens of Park City, the McPolin Farm has been extensively refurbished, including stabilizing the barn, to maintain it as the most significant visual feature of the valley and an entry corridor landmark. The bucolic setting provides a haven from today's fast-paced life and welcomes residents and visitors to Park City. 

Be sure to visit Prewitt Gallery at 570 Main Street to view our full collection of McPolin Farm images.